Skip to main content
Drag Racing Tips
- Move your passenger seat all the way forward and lock it into position.
- Buy or make a fan switch that will allow you to run your fans on low, cooling the car down between runs.
- Clean your air filter before going to the track.
- Race gas with an l/8th of a tank at the most or highest premium gas you can find if it’s a 3.4 or smaller pulley.
- Remove the floor mats.
- Remove the spare tire & holder.
- Remove the driver’s side headlight.
- Clean extra items out of glove box and take out any loose change in the car.
- Turn on the heater with a temperature at 90 degrees to help cool the engine.
- Turn off the radio.
- Air the tires down in front 26-28 lbs for street tires, 18 lbs for drag radials, and 13-16 lbs for slicks.
- Set rear tires to max the PSI rating.
- Turn off traction control.
- Move your seat a couple of inches forward from your normal driving.
- If you have a stock PCM launch in 2nd, hold 2nd until 5900rpm and then shift to 3rd.
- Raise the hood and ice down the SC between runs.
- Keep your hood up while waiting in the staging lanes.
- Trickle charge your battery overnight before going to race.
- Make sure you stage your car pointing exactly straight. Any movement on the steering wheel will cost you 1/100’s on your ET.