The Ion Redline has had very few suspension options over the years so we are extremely excited to bring these to the community. Our eccentric pass through rear lower mount means that you can go lower than other coilovers while retaining a great ride. Since the shock can pass through the bottom of the mount it means we can run a longer shock. More travel = better ride quality. We developed two versions of the kit, a standard and extra low. Installation note: On the lower rear mount there are two thicknesses of bushing, if your lower mount hits the beam, swap the mounts side to side.
During testing we tried many different spring heights and spring rates, ultimately landing on 6kg front and 6kg rear. These spring rates, combined with our chosen spring heights, and shocks/struts that are valved specifically to these spring rates and chassis mean you will get excellent ride quality while retaining fantastic performance. Ride height adjustability is done via the shock body in the front, meaning spring pre-load is preset for the optimal combination of ride quality and handling. Rear height adjustment is done via the included high/low adjuster, and preload is set via your rear shock body. Front camber can be adjusted via the knuckle mounting point with our slotted lower mount, additional camber can be had with the use of camber bolts (found here).
We offer double the warranty of BC's and other competitors, 2 years against any defect. This shows how much we stand behind our product. Our coilovers also come with more dampening adjustment range so you can fine tune for your specific build and desired ride quality. Our coils were built with every climate in mind; being based in Michigan we know how much the elements affect suspension parts, so we made sure the welds are up to our standards as well as the powder coated lower collars are reinforced to withstand rust. All other components are anodized, or powder coated to resist rust. We know that you're going to love everything about these coilovers.
Which version to choose:
- Standard (~ 0-2.0" drop): This version is for customers looking for increased performance and adjustability over a stock style strut/lowering spring or stock suspension. This version includes a 160mm rear spring + adjuster. The standard version can go from nearly stock height down to approximately 2-3" lower than stock Redline suspension. This can get you to 1 finger "fitment" in the rear on 18's with the perches out. Both versions include the same front coilover assembly which has more than enough adjustment for any preferred ride height.
- Extra Low (~ 1.5-4.0" drop): This version is for customers looking for increased performance, adjustability, and the ability to go "dirt nasty low". One drawback of competitors coilovers is the rear shock bottoms out in the rear mount "cup", giving you only so much adjustment. This version includes a 125mm rear spring, adjuster, and shorter shock. The extra low can go from lowering spring height down to tucking tire. This is for the customer that wants to go as low as possible, all while still retaining a great ride and awesome handling.
- Rear offset eccentric pass through lower mount
- Height adjustment front and rear
- 32 clicks of damping adjustment, front and rear
- 2 year best in class ZZP warranty
- Front camber adjustment via front lower mount
- 6kg front spring rate, 6kg rear spring rate
- Monotube construction
- Linear damping curve
- Road noise isolators on bottom and top of front springs
- Simultaneous compression and rebound adjustment via damping knobs
Fitment note: These coilovers were built and designed around stock wheels from the Cobalt SS, Ion Redline, and HHR SS. Due to the design of the rear lower mount, some aftermarket wheels may need a slight spacer to clear depending on your width, offset, and wheel design. Make sure to test fit your wheel, including wheel in rotational movement with the rear shock installed and set at ride height before fully bolting down the wheel. Double check wheel/tire clearance after rear suspension has been fully installed before driving.
Installation note: When installing the rear dampers you must make sure that there is at least 20mm of thread in the rear lower mount. Failure to do so may result in premature failure and/or the damper pulling out of the lower mount.
If you have fitment issues with wider wheels in the rear we now offer our extra clearance rear mounts, found here. Most people will not need these, if you have any fitment questions reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or Tyler.V@zzperformance.com.
Installation Note: Due to the unique nature of the top strut to body nut that allows the damper through, you must be careful when tightening down. DO NOT use the manufacturer torque spec of 81ft/lbs to tighten this nut. Use a 3/8 ratchet and get the nut tight. Check tightness 1 days after installation, and 1 week after installation.