Inventory levels of available PCM cores changes constantly, and we are often low on certain year cores. If you are rushed please email Tyler.V@zzperformance.com or Alan.M@zzperformance.com before ordering with a core option.
ZZPerformance makes upgrading your supercharged Ion/Cobalt simple with our dyno proven Stage 3 kit. Stage 3 is designed with performance and reliability in mind. The PCM commands a flat AF ratio and drops timing slightly with decreases in pulley size. You will not lose AC function with our stage 3 kit like you would with the GM Stage 3 kit.
- ZZP 1.0 PCM
- ZZP Modular pulley system
- GM belt, Over-sized tensioner pulley (see product page for instructions), or Adjustable tensioner
- NGK 4644 spark plugs gapped at .035
- Larger fuel injectors (and harness if required)
- ZZP Heat Exchanger (comes with 6 feet of hose, fittings, & mounting hardware)
- Dyno chart shows power increase from 214 to 249WHP on a stock Cobalt using a 2.9" pulley.
- 3.1" recommended for users with 91 octane.
- 3.0" recommended for users with totally stock vehicles other than this kit, and/or people wanting to stay a little more conservative.
- 2.9" we recommend a dual pass end plate, header/downpipe and 91/92 octane, 50# or larger injectors required.
Using an Aeroforce scan gauge to keep an eye on your IAT2 temps is HIGHLY recommended. The intercooler pump on these cars is very unreliable, and if you have a smaller pulley and the pump is not working, you could end up replacing your engine. Any IAT2 temps over 160 degrees are reducing your spark advance/performance. Anything over 170 degrees is EXTREMELY dangerous.
Recommended ZZP mod list, click HERE
How to order your Stage kit:
Select pulley size and color. (see above for recommendations)
Tensioner option: Determines what you are going to use to take up the slack in the belt when you install the smaller SC pulley. The Stage 2 belt is the most popular option, the Oversized tensioner requires you to remove the tensioner and grind it to give it some clearance for the oversized pulley, and the adjustable tensioner will replace the entire tensioner and is completely adjustable for any S/C pulley size.
Stage 2 Belt notes:
This belt was designed for use with GM's original stage kits which come with a 3.1" pulley. Running pulleys smaller than this works because of the Cobalt's tensioner but there are things to keep in mind:
1. A smaller pulley means the belt isn't as tight because it will have more slack.
2. A smaller pulley has less surface for the belt to grip
3. Smaller pulleys produce more boost, which in turn requires more HP to turn the blower. This additional HP increases the chance of belt slippage.
Ideally, this belt is used with a 3.1" pulley. A 3.0 is quite fine. As you go smaller problems can arise and it's recommended to use our adjustable tensioner instead of the smaller belt. Another option is using our oversized tensioner pulley with the smaller belt. We have seen belt failures with nearly all 2.7 and 2.6" pulley users who only run a smaller belt. We have seen many failures with 2.8" pulley users as well.
Oversized tensioner pulley instructions:
1. Remove the factory tensioner from the car.
2. Pry the bolt cover off
3. Remove the OEM tensioner pulley with a T50 torx bit
4. Inspect parts. You will need a grinder for the next steps
5. Place the new 3" pulley on the iron tensioner and take notice of where it hits. The tensioner is not symmetrical. One side has a smaller outer ring and that is the side you need to be towards the metal. Failure to do this will necessitate extra grinding.
6. There are 3 ridges you'll need to grind down. When there is a little black paint left in between them, you are close to completion.
7. After grinding place the new pulley on the bracket and make sure it does not rub. Bolt down the larger tensioner pulley and re-install the bracket on the engine.
For the injector drop down: we recommend 60# injectors for any supercharged gasoline setup, but if you are planning on running E85, you will need the 80# injectors instead. Because of potential idle issues, do not run a larger injector that your setup needs. 80# injectors should only be used in E85 fueled cars.
What kind of intake are you running? If we have a specific file setup for your specific brand intake, we will include it.
#1 Refundable core charge, for $250 We can ship you a ZZP flashed PCM so you can install everything and simply swap your PCM core and then the core charge is refundable when we receive your original LSJ PCM core back within 30 days.
#2 I'm sending in my core first, We will hold your order until we receive your LSJ pcm, flash it with our file, and ship it back to you. However when you select this we will not ship any of the parts until we receive your core, because the PCM flash must match the mods (mainly the injectors and intake).
If you select "sending in core first" send core to:
Attn: Order # (order number goes here)
2450 28th st. SW
Wyoming, MI 49519
#3 Email me an HPTuner file, If you have HPTuners we can email you our modified file so you can upload it yourself. However to save you HPTuners credits you would email us the file that you licensed and we would email you back an updated file for your mods.
#4 I am doing my own tuning, You can buy the kit without a PCM or a PCM file.
#5 Rent Interface or Rent Interface & Laptop: We can send you a HPTuners interface and cable which we supply with instructions. It will allow you to read your stock file, email it to us for modification, we email you back a modified tune, you upload it to your ECU, and send us a scan, then if additional tweaks are needed, we can modify the file again to perfect it. When tuning is done, you can return the interface/laptop, and you are refunded the interface/laptop core charge (deposit). If you do not rent our laptop, you will need a Windows based laptop to read/write your ECU. The advantage of using ours is that it comes pre-configured with the tuning and scanning software required so you can simply charge the laptop, power it up and get started immediately. We can assist you if you have any questions or custom tuning requirements. If you choose to keep the tuning interface and/or the laptop, that's fine, we just wont refund the core charge. Core charges are based on 30 days and there will be additional charges if cables or laptops are kept for longer periods. HPTuners interface comes with 2 credits to license your car.
If you want to purchase a HPTuners suite, you can add a standard or Pro version to your order here: HPTuners suite.
If you have specific questions regarding the 1.0 PCM tuning please reference the main page, found here.
1. Does this disable my AC?
No. It does not, the GM stage 3 kit does, but ours does not.
*PCM portion of this kit is non-returnable. Pulley puller tool required for changing blower pulley.
You will need to remove the stock pulley from your supercharger for this kit. We offer a pulley puller for rent or purchase HERE.
If using your own laptop for remote tuning, download the latest stable HPTuners VCM Suite here.