Clutch Masters Aluminum Flywheel for Cruze/Sonic
This variant is currently sold out
Model: You will need to measure your clutch disc to determine which flywheel is correct for your application. The "GM Performance Clutch Kit" would require the 228mm flywheel.
6061 T6 Billet Aluminum:
Two-piece unit featuring a high carbon steel replaceable friction surface. SFI Certified.
Replacing your OEM flywheel with a light weight flywheel may cause gear noise or a vibration that may not be suitable for everyone. The lighter the flywheel the more gear noise will be produced. Depending on the application Clutch Masters usually recommends Steel flywheels rather than Aluminum flywheels since Aluminum flywheels will cause more gear noise. Aluminum flywheels are usually only recommended for race applications looking to have the least amount of weight as possible. A light weight flywheel may affect the life expectancy of a clutch kit depending on the application.
Going from a Dual-Mass Flywheel (DMF) to a Single-Mass Flywheel (SMF):
A Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) is a flywheel in two concentric parts or two facing flywheels stuck together with flexible compound to damp down transmitted vibration and gear rattle for the gear box. Many newer model vehicles now come standard with a factory DMF. Many times enthusiast choose to replace a DMF with a SMF and here is why: ***
- DMF’s tend to be more expensive than a SMF.
- DMF’s are not designed to be resurfaced like conventional SMF.
- DMF’s usually weigh 30+ lbs depending on the application which will cause unwanted turbo lag.
- DMF’s cannot withstand a high rate of abuse and may fail under spirited driving.
The benefits and advantages of switching to a SMF from a DMF:
- Reduced mass equals increased acceleration.
- Reduces turbo “lag” in turbo-charged engines.
- Increased supercharger efficiency due to less drag on the crank.
- Improved mid-range torque in naturally aspirated engines.
- SMF are able to be resurfaced and can be reused.
*** Clutch Masters offers Aluminum or Steel SMF depending on the application. We recommend you replace your DMF with a Steel SMF if the vehicle will be driven on the street since it will produce less noise and will be more pleasant to drive on the street compared to an Aluminum SMF. Aluminum flywheels are only recommended for race applications looking to have the least amount of weight as possible. By replacing a DMF with a SMF you may experience gear rattle and a vibration that may not be suitable for everyone. SMF may also reduce the life expectancy of a clutch kit depending on the application.